You have purchased an electric smoker, and you are looking forward to tasting your first smoked ham.
The problem that you are facing is that you don’t know how to smoke your ham. You don’t want to mess up your first smoked meal and you want to get the best possible method for smoking ham.
This is the one thing that you don’t need to worry about.
There are many different ways on how you can smoke ham in an electric smoker without wasting a good piece of ham.
Here are a guide and some tips about smoking ham in your smoker.
Table of Contents
The Higher the Quality Ham, the Better the Results
The final taste of the smoked ham is going to depend on the type of ham that you have bought in the first place.
The higher the quality ham, the better the results are going to be.
Something that many are asking is if it should be a fresh ham, or if you can double smoked ham that is already been smoked before you purchased it.
The good news is that you can smoke both, the fresh ham and the pre-smoked ham in your electric smoker. There isn’t much of a difference.
With the pre-smoked ham, you should just be careful about smoking it too long in your smoker. It can start to taste bitter, and it will ruin your ham.
Prepare the Ham for Smoking
After you have purchased your high-quality ham, you should prepare the ham for smoking.
There are different recipes online that you can use, to spice the ham correctly. Different people prefer different spices, so it is best to choose which one you would prefer.
It is important to make sure that you are giving the ham a full spice rub and ensure that you inject some of the spices within the ham. This is to get the complete and full taste of the ham.
The type of spice that you are choosing will have an effect on the taste of the ham.
The Time That You Need to Smoke the Ham
This is the main problem that most people have with smoking their very first ham. The time that the ham needs to be in the smoker.
It is important to consider the size of the ham and the type of smoker you have before you can finally decide the time.
Under normal circumstances and with fresh ham, the best time to smoke the ham is between three and four hours. The longer you smoke the ham, the smokier the ham will become.
However, to smoke ham too long can leave it bitter and you can waste a good piece of ham.
It is also recommended that you are considering medium heat if you don’t want to over-smoke the ham.
The Step by Step Guide to Smoke Ham in an Electric Smoker
This is the step-by-step guide on how to smoke your hame in an electric smoker. This is especially for the first-timers that doesn’t know where to start.
This is an easy way to smoke a ham in your electric cooker so that you don’t smoke it for too long and ruining your piece of ham.
- Add your wood chips into your electric smoker. The required amount is needed according to your manual.
- You start by pre-setting your electric smoker to medium heat. Or at 225 degrees F.
- Prepare your ham by adding the spices and rub the ham with your rubbing sauce.
- Place the ham directly on the grill grates and start smoking the ham for 1½ hour.
- Turn the ham to the other side and smoke it for another 1 ½hour.
- Check if the ham is smoked according to your liking and consider the size of the ham.
- You might want to smoke the ham for another hour or so.
- Take out the ham and let it cool off
- Cut into pieces and enjoy
Dos and Don’t to Remember When Using a Smoker
These are some essential dos and don’ts to remember when using a smoker.
- You should always add new wood to the smoker while smoking a ham.
- Don’t switch on the smoker and forget about the ham inside. It can ruin the ham
- It is a great idea to play with different recipes until you find the recipe that will suit you best
With this guide, you will know how to smoke a ham in an electric smoker. If you don’t have an electric smoker, you can still use this method.
The only thing that might be different is the time that it should be in the smoker.
Many people think that the longer you have the ham in the smoker, the better it is going to taste. However, if you leave it too long, it can ruin the taste.
Follow this guide and you will not make a mistake with smoking your very first ham.